Staff Picks: Svet’s Favorite Art-Related Things and Places in Chicago

To close out 2013, we asked library staff members to write lists–of anything they want. Today we feature Svetlana Surkevicius’s Favorite Art-Related Things and Places in Chicago.

Svet is the Administrative Assistant at Cudahy Library.

svet

I majored in Art History in college and art is one of my passions, so I made a list of some of my favorite art-related things/places in Chicago.

1.) I think medieval armor is stunning and the Art Institute of Chicago has a great collection. It was not on display for a while but I think most of it is back in the galleries again.

2.) My favorite bronze sculptor is Henry Moore. I really want to see the Henry Moore outdoor sculpture park on my next trip to the England. I used to play and climb on the “Nuclear Energy” sculpture at U of C when I was a child. The other Moore that I like is the sundial sculpture outside of the Planetarium.

3.) I love the WPA era murals and Illinois has a lot of them. The Chicago Conservation Center, where I completed my internship has undertaken the huge task of restoring many of these incredible examples of government-sponsored works. More info can be found here.

4.) My favorite painter is Mark Rothko but I’m also a big fan of Latin American art.

5.) Lastly, Loyola’s Pegasus Catalog has a great selection of e-books available in their entirety online on the topic of Art History, a broad area that covers costume, painting, architecture, design, psychology, archaeology, photography, medicine, etc.

One thought on “Staff Picks: Svet’s Favorite Art-Related Things and Places in Chicago

Back To Top