Dean Ryan’s Favorite Books

Lewis Library Summer 2019

Fall semester is well underway, but there’s still a place for leisure reading! Loyola’s Dean of Libraries, Marianne Ryan, shares some of her favorite reads.

Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)

I don’t read much fiction, but this is my favorite book of all time. A historical novel that examines social and political history in 19th century France, it tells one of the most compelling stories of man’s inhumanity to man and of redemption.

The Novel of the Century: The Extraordinary Adventure of Les Miserables (David Bellos)

I’m a fan of biography as a genre, and this is basically the biography of Les Miserables. It explores why and how the book was written and what makes it truly great.

Washington: A Life (Ron Chernow)

One of my long-standing goals has been to read a definitive biography of every US president. This look at George Washington focuses on him as a person, not only as a president. It’s 900 pages, but it goes fast.

The Physics of Baseball (Robert K. Adair)

I love baseball! My favorite aspect of the game is the duel between the pitcher and the batter. This book explores the science of the game, including aerodynamics, velocity, and trajectory of the ball in play.

Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World(Mark Kurlansky)

Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World (Mark Kurlansky)

This tribute to the legacy of a versatile fish is a unique and interesting read.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking (Susan Cain)

The title says it all. This book provides validation for those of us who are introverted and offers insight into what makes us tick.

Business as Usual (Jane Oliver and Anne Stafford)

First published in 1933, this illustrated novel-in-letters tells the story of a young woman in London, determined to support herself, who finds work in . . . a library!

Name that Movie: 100 Illustrated Movie Puzzles (Paul Rogers)

Name that Movie: 100 Illustrated Movie Puzzles (Paul Rogers)

This clever picture book contains 100 brain-teaser puzzles. The answer to each is a movie title.

The Way Things Work Now (David Macaulay)

The Way Things Work Now (David Macaulay)

David Macaulay is a genius story teller and a brilliant illustrator. This updated version of his classic covers how virtually everything from catapults to computers have impacted life.

Letters of E.B. White

Letters of E.B. White

E.B. White is one of my favorite authors—and grammarians. His letters provide insight into him and his work. I corresponded with Mr. White shortly before his death, but those letters aren’t in the book.

Semicolon: The Past, Present, and Future of a Misunderstood Mark (Cecilia Watson)

Semicolon: The Past, Present, and Future of a Misunderstood Mark (Cecilia Watson)

I love language, grammar, and punctuation–and, like Abe Lincoln, I especially admire the semicolon. This is essentially a history, biography, and expose’ of it.

The Path between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 (David McCullough)

The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 (David McCullough)

I’ve always wanted to take a boat through the Panama Canal. Reading this very long book is the next-best thing to being there.

Back To Top