ABOUT THE WORK
An early foundation in athletics sparked my interest in the relationship between physical and cognitive mechanics. Through painting I dissect and reconstruct the tenuous balance of structure and elasticity necessary to remain lithe in tension, to retain sensitivity when faced with speed and systematization. Just as inertia in the physical world cuts agility, psychological inertia cuts one’s ability to perceive. I explore engaged ambivalence as a companion to the push of acceleration introduced by the global-digital age, tracing my navigation of this relationship in the concurrent channels of short and longhand in my work. I use harsh line intimately and paint with voracious plots of color, dragging, weaving and scraping my way toward synthesis, holding closely the fallible nature of construct and the hand.

Delaney Salt is an artist living and working in Berkeley, CA. Originally from Pennsylvania, she received a BFA in Painting from Penn State University, has studied at Grand Central Academy in NYC, and was selected as a 2014 Artist in Residence at the Vermont Studio Center in Johnson, VT.

In parallel to her studio practice she curates the art blog Caste Underground, operates Grant & Channing Studio, a multi-service art and design studio based in Berkeley, CA., and offers a variety of work through her Etsy shop “Salt Bazar”

Featured Visual Artist Issue #12
Tagged on: