Jackie’s Favorite Books of 2021 So Far

I’m Jackie, a library assistant and avid reader at the LUC Libraries. Here are my top books from the first half of 2021. FYI: I read mostly science fiction, fantasy, and mysteries, so if you like any of those, then this blog post is for you!

The Bone Maker by Sarah Beth Durst, published March 9th, 2021

With elements of The Final Empire and Gideon the Ninth, a splash of V.E. Schwab, but with its own identity entirely, The Bone Maker held me entranced from unlikely beginning to poetic end. Bone-based magic, immortality, friendship, romance, wit, morality, and plan after clever plan kept me unable to put this one down, and if any of the aforementioned things appeal to you, then I have a feeling that you too will enjoy this unique tale.

Twenty-five years after they defeated an evil tyrant and became legendary heroes, five aging warriors come together once again to fight for the country of Vos. This time, however, the stakes are higher, the magic darker and more costly, and the trauma of their past deeds heavy on their shoulders. Will these five bone-magicians overcome their own struggles and defeat the evil force they failed to expunge the first time, or will they die trying?

Kreya, a bone maker who uses animal bones to animate the inanimate and the primary character leading readers through this story, has her own trials to contend with. She feels guilt over separating herself from her group of warriors after their initial battle, grief over the loss of her husband in that battle, and shame for what she does in order to get her husband and teammate, Jennt, back. I won’t go into too much more detail on that latter point as it would be a slight spoiler, but let’s just say that Kreya’s internal monologue, in which she questions what separates her from her greatest enemy, the evil Eklor, is fascinating and one of my favorite parts of this book: what separates heroes from villains?

We also get to know Zera, a bone wizard who creates talismans out of animal bones that imbue their users with powers like strength, speed, and stealth, Marso, a bone reader who uses animal bones to glimpse the past, present, and future, and Stran, the “muscle” of the group who uses many of Zera’s talismans to assist in battle and defense.

Following these heroes through their clever plans, witty banter, and heartbreaking failures, through lessons on time and love, and the costs of both, was one of the most satisfying reading experiences I have had in a long time. This is already my favorite book of 2021.

Ariande by Jennifer Saint, published May 4th 2021

In this retelling of the Greek myths of Ariadne, the title character battles the selfish and often cruel desires of the men around her and the Gods above her again and again. Ariadne, Princess of Crete, sister of the Minotaur, wife of Dionysus, sister of the Queen of Athens, is portrayed as a normal mortal woman trying to make her way through a world that is designed to destroy her. Readers follow Ariadne from her birth to her death, her entire life written as though it were fact but woven with myth after glorious myth, her emotions raw and real in juxtaposition to the Gods, miracles, and feats performed around her. While there is triumph in Ariadne, this is still a tragedy in my opinion, so be ready to get your heart torn out and ripped to shreds. In other words, read this book! It’ll be in my top 5 of 2021, I’m quite sure.

The basis of the plot is that two sisters and Princesses of Crete, Ariadne and Phaedra, tell their stories in alternating point-of-views, though Ariadne begins and ends the story and mostly leads it along. We begin with their childhoods, growing up with the Minotaur as a sibling who gradually becomes a monster, and who they assist in killing. From there, both of their stories take off in opposite, but always related, directions. They both experience victory and pain, love and loss, motherhood, joy, anger, frustration, disappointment, and every other human emotion, all the while at the mercy of men and Gods. That being said, they both manage to retain some power over their lives and do not allow themselves to be limited by their circumstances.

While there are moments of victory in Ariadne’s story, there is also tragedy. Many are already comparing this book to Circe, and so am I. However, it felt even more “real” to me, as though I were reading the memoir of an actual person who spoke of Gods and monsters as if they were completely normal. In this way, it feels like a cross between Circe or The Song of Achilles and an historical fiction by Michelle Moran. The writing manages to be both frank and lyrical somehow, and it’s honestly hard to tell that this is a debut novel with Jennifer Saint writing like a seasoned professional.

As for the story itself- oh boy. There are really about five or six different stories tied together into this one novel. The tales of the Minotaur, Theseus, Phaedra, Dionysus and his Island of Naxos, Perseus, Medusa, and more all make appearances, but are tied together seamlessly. I was also impressed by the uniquely-human emotions and trials that were included amongst the famous myths. A woman’s experience with her very mortal motherhood, for example, struck home with me. Another case, so human in its simplicity, is the description of a long marriage gradually crumbling. Many women’s stories, all too realistic, are bound up in this swath of ancient Mythology. So while this is certainly a retelling of ancient Greek myths and the women within them, I think many modern women will not only take pity on the characters they are seeing, but will also relate to them.

This book is incredible. It really is “the next Circe,” except it’s entirely its own, too. It has all the ingredients for long-term success: solid writing, an exciting and twisted plot, relatable characters, and timeless lessons. A must-read for 2021.

The Chosen and the Beautiful by Nghi Vo, published June 1st, 2021

In The Chosen and the Beautiful, Nghi Vo weaves a stunning and intricate web of magic, imagery, romance, history, and tragedy onto the existing frame of The Great Gatsby. Vo’s amalgamation is a triumph, and its reimagination of The Great Gatsby brings an American classic novel into the 21st century.

This book kept me spellbound from the first pages. While staying true to the original plot of The Great Gatsby, Vo chooses to tell the tale from Jordan Baker’s (also Asian, adopted, and bi-sexual in Vo’s telling) perspective and to interwork other aspects nonexistent in the original book including demons, soul-selling, and paper-based magic.

Otherwise, the story of Jay Gatsby’s obsession with Daisy, the roles of Jordan and Nick, and the ultimate tragedy that befalls those blinded by their desires are all the same. I had no idea what to expect from this book, but it exceeded every expectation I could have had. The characters felt far more nuanced, particularly that of Jordan Baker of course, than F. Scott Fitzgerald ever managed. The addition of magic and a mysterious, demon-filled underworld that seeps into our own world on a regular basis added to the story without being distracting from the main plot. The exploration of LGBT issues, race, class, and gender was well-done and felt balanced, never forced, and as relevant today as it all was a century ago.

The Chosen and the Beautiful is stunning, and anyone that read The Great Gatsby will at least appreciate this reimagination of a piece of classic literature- if they don’t fall madly (or even demonically) in love with it.

A Master of Djinn by P. Djèlí Clark, published May 11th, 2021

Cairo, Egypt. 1912. Djinn and their magic are a present reality, and Egypt is a modern power comparable to Britain and France. The Djinn, a part of this world for ages, were fully released from their realm by the great, but disappeared, hero al-Jahiz. Now, someone claiming to be al-Jahiz many decades after his disappearance is bent on…well, Agent Fatma and her team at the Ministry aren’t sure what this imposter wants. But he is riling up the people of Cairo and seemingly controlling the Djinn, who are considered independent citizens of Egypt. Fatma has to stop this man, but at what cost? Djinn of all kinds, dangerous ancient magic, the great Gods of Egypt’s past, vengeful colonizers and more become important players in this multi-layered, endlessly-exciting tale.

If you like fantasy, steampunk, queer romance, action, mysteries, or running commentary on the colonization of the Middle East/alternative history (P. Djeli Clark is a genius and my hero for this), you will probably find plenty to enjoy in this one. Very, very fun! I only took off a half-star because I guessed who the “imposter” really was long before it was revealed, when I much prefer to be surprised. Overall though, this is a solid debut full-length novel that wrapped its mystery up neatly despite the many moving pieces, has a complex but not overwhelming universe/magic system, and left me feeling satisfied at its end. I can’t wait for more from Clark!

I also recommend reading A Dead Djinn in Cairo before reading this, as it is referred to repeatedly. Also maybe The Haunting of Tram Car 015, but I had not read this one yet and I was okay. I think there was maybe one reference to it.

The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz, published May 11th, 2021

When “failed” writer Jake decides to teach at a short-term MFA program, it’s a last resort that he hates every moment of. That is, until Jake’s most annoying student shares an incredible plot for his yet-unwritten book, and then that student turns up dead. Unable to refuse the opportunity to use this incredible plot and become the successful author he has always wanted to be, Jake writes the book that his student never wrote. His dreams come true, and the book catapults up the NYT Bestseller list, is chosen as Oprah’s Bookclub book, and makes Jake an over-night celebrity.

But suddenly, Jake begins receiving threatening messages from someone who knows that Jake stole the story. Everything he has achieved is in jeopardy, and Jake races to find out who knows his secret before they can reveal it to the rest of the world.

This was really good. I admit that I only decided to read it because I’m a sucker for “books about books,” but The Plot turned out to be so much more than that. A mystery, thriller, romance, coming-of-age, family drama, and more, this might be one of my favorite books of the year. This managed to be a fun read while also making me question my morals…who thought I’d ever be cheering for someone who stole someone else’s life’s potential?

I did guess the apparently-unguessable twist, but it was still great. Once I got into the second half, I really couldn’t put it down, because even though I thought I knew what might happen, it was so crazy that I just could not wait to actually watch it unfold.

A great one for readers of thrillers looking for something a bit less formulaic, but also good for anyone who might like a fascinating story about opportunity and morality with a very dark twist. 

The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner, published March 2nd, 2021

This book was just so much fun!

A female apothecary secretly dispenses poisons to liberate women from the men who have wronged them—setting three lives across centuries on a dangerous collision course. Rule #1: The poison must never be used to harm another woman. Rule #2: The names of the murderer and her victim must be recorded in the apothecary’s register.

One cold February evening in 1791, at the back of a dark London alley in a hidden apothecary shop, Nella awaits her newest customer. Once a respected healer, Nella now uses her knowledge for a darker purpose—selling well-disguised poisons to desperate women who would kill to be free of the men in their lives. But when her new patron turns out to be a precocious twelve-year-old named Eliza Fanning, an unexpected friendship sets in motion a string of events that jeopardizes Nella’s world and threatens to expose the many women whose names are written in her register.

In present-day London, aspiring historian Caroline Parcewell spends her tenth wedding anniversary alone, reeling from the discovery of her husband’s infidelity. When she finds an old apothecary vial near the river Thames, she can’t resist investigating, only to realize she’s found a link to the unsolved “apothecary murders” that haunted London over two centuries ago. As she deepens her search, Caroline’s life collides with Nella’s and Eliza’s in a stunning twist of fate—and not everyone will survive.

This is a fantastic book for fans of historical fiction, mysteries, history as a field, and reading about unseen but extremely important women. All the characters were likeable, and while at least one of them was a murderer, it was impossible not to root for her anyway. I loved the dual timelines, the suspense, and the respect for independent and intelligent women.

The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, published April 27th, 2021

Nina is a young girl entering her first “Season” as a woman eligible for courting and marriage. Her family sends her from the countryside to stay in the large city of Losail with her cousin so she can attend parties and meet important people. If being from the countryside and her hobby of collecting beetles weren’t scandalous enough, Nina also has a “talent”: telekinesis. While accepted as a source of entertainment when performed by men, Nina’s gift is seen as taboo. Her unique traits make her cousin’s wife, Valerie, despise the young girl. This discontent is intensified when Nina becomes friends with Hector, a famous telekinetic performer and Valerie’s first love. While Nina sees herself as falling in love, almost everyone around her has ulterior motives with Nina as the primary chess piece in their game. Readers will wonder whether Nina can manage to see the true intentions of her fellows, or if she will be tricked into a trap like one of the insects she so loves.

I have some…feelings about this. The initial ones are my constant frustration with the naivety of Nina and the fact that her youth and hope for romance were used against her consistently by others to move the plot forward, and also the fact that in the end, this was a story about two women hating each other. I won’t say more because it could spoil things, but two women, one sweet and one bitter, essentially battling over a man when they should have been battling against the system that is built to control them is…annoying, to say the least.

That being said, Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s writing was extravagant and a pleasure to read, the twists and overall plot structure kept me guessing and turning the pages, and the overall concept of this book (essentially if Pride & Prejudice characters had telekinesis) felt fun and fresh.

I also managed to feel bad for the “villain,” which is rare for me. I usually think “cool trauma, still bad crime,” but this one was different, even if what I felt was not admiration, but pity. Pity for a person who regrets the choices they made in the past and aches to see another making better choices. I do not agree with this villain’s actions by any means, but I understand and mourn for them.

This is a story of love, regret, not getting too swept up in dreams and expectations, and staying true to oneself. Essentially, if old-fashioned (Regency/Victorian) romance with a touch of fantasy and a whole lot of drama and intrigue appeals to you, then you will probably enjoy this book. I enjoyed it, in fact, despite the woman-vs-woman conflict. Because while this trope feels old and sexist to me, it was also sad and even relatable to me on a personal level. It reminded me that women should never fight over men, but rather that they should band together to fight the system. And so if other readers take that from this book, then I will be glad, and even if they do not, they will get a lovely and quirky romance anyway.

Back To Top