Quilting a flower is easy. When beating someone with a musical instrument, never underestimate the piccolo. It’ll surprise you. I used to have imaginary conversations all night long with women I loved. The next morning was depressing. It’s the typical story. What begins as a fun family outing quickly dovetails into bitter resentment and anger. Who takes onions and Grand Marnier to the beach? Sometimes I call the neighbor’s cat C.R. Bottomsly, international super spy, and we take it from there. I think the cat likes it. We happened upon a restaurant that serves the best bowl of goo. They say at the moment of death to carry everyone’s suffering. I’ve seen a man shoot a cat in the head with a revolver. Are we watching a fight scene, an abusive relationship or a home movie? Richard Dawson sort of creeps me out. You need to wrap your medicine in bread. They say after death our experience will be choiceless. I would’ve written this sooner but last month I broke all my fingers and thumbs in a wide-receiving accident.

Jason Bredle is the author of two books and four chapbooks of poetry: A Twelve Step Guide (New Michigan Press, 2004); Standing in Line for the Beast (New Issues, 2007); Pain Fantasy (Red Morning Press, 2007); American Sex Machine (Scantily Clad Press, 2009); Class Project (Publishing Genius, 2009); and The Book of Evil (Dream Horse Press, 2010). Individual poems have appeared in the Knopf anthology Poems About Horses, 180 More: Extraordinary Poems for Every Day from Random House, TriQuarterly, and other places. He lives in Chicago, where he works in the patient reported outcomes translation field.

Family Feud
Tagged on: