Welcome from the Dean

Welcome back to the Loyola campus for the 2008-09 school year. I hope all students and faculty had a safe, relaxing, and productive summer. While the libraries staff did find time for some vacation and conference attendance, we have also been busy preparing for the new academic year.

You will notice a number of changes in the campus including new green spaces, new sidewalks, and a new shuttle bus stop, among other improvements. The former Jesuit residence is gone and that area is surrounded by a fence while the final landscaping for the Information Commons is being undertaken this fall. When the work is done, the entrance to the IC will be more beautiful and dramatic, and a beautiful green space between it and Cudahy Science will provide a great setting for relaxation and contemplation.

Because of the landscaping work, the entrance to the IC will be closed all fall semester and the Cudahy entrance will have to be utilized for access to both facilities. Beginning in January 2009, the Cudahy entrance will be closed permanently and you will enter both the Information Commons and Cudahy Memorial Library via the IC entrance. This will provide better security and underscore our philosophy that we are really one library facility. During all the landscaping work, we thank you for your patience and understanding.

There are a number of new services, resources, and facility enhancements in the libraries and you can read about them in our “What’s New” flyer. Pick one up in any library. Please call on me or any of my staff for more information.

We are excited about the new academic year and I offer all of you my best wishes for the fall semester.

Bob Seal, Dean of Libraries

One thought on “Welcome from the Dean

1. I just wanted to share with you a comment asked by a visitng parent not long ago, “do you know the name of the Dean of libraries and what does the shield mean”. To be honest it took me a minute to think of your name but the shield I had a copy in my desk.
    A parent asked this question about a yr ago and I asked Fr. Daffron, what Ad MAJOREM Dei Gloriam meant , to the greater glory of God.

Back To Top